Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay or nay? Do you only read adult fiction or do you stray into the kiddie section for nostalgia or to pick up light reads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
Absolutly love to read the kiddie stuff for nostalgia and just because they can be great books.  I've been klicking for availability for the Trixie Beldon series like crazy.  I want to get the Fudge books so I can read them to my grandson in a couple of years.  I can enjoy them again with him like I did with my kids. 
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
I think you'll find we have a lot of people who enjoy young adult fiction.  I know I do, and I have downloaded some of the kids' books people have found.  I get recommendations from the grandkids.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just curious to see what people think mostly. The only new young adult/kid's fiction I've picked up in years for reasons other than Nostalgia is the Harry Potter series. Well there's Eragon but the less said about that the better.  I think it's because I started reading adult fiction in 6th grade that I never gave a second look back at the "kiddie" stuff, but it looks like there's a decent assortment of stuff out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
drenee said:
Absolutly love to read the kiddie stuff for nostalgia and just because they can be great books. I've been klicking for availability for the Trixie Beldon series like crazy. I want to get the Fudge books so I can read them to my grandson in a couple of years. I can enjoy them again with him like I did with my kids.
Oh my gosh I LOVE Trixie Belden! I've never met anyone else who has read the series. i only have one or two that I picked up at a used book store to keep for my kids to read someday. I'd love the whole series. I also loved the Super Fudge series. I haven't read either since I was a kid. Oh, and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.

As an adult I've read all the HP, Eragon, Twilight series. Oh, and I love the Lemony Snickett series, which is available on the Kindle:


I would love to have a few younger kids books on the kindle to read with my son if we are stuck at a doctors office, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Trixie Belden was my all time favorite series ever!

I love getting the kiddie books and reading them to my daughter. I just wish they were a tad bit less expensive. They take us 2 evenings at the most to finish and they are priced the same as adult books.

Melissa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I just bought Coraline by Neil Gaiman last night. Neil Gaiman is awesome, and the movie coming out is directed by Tim Burton, who is also awesome. I can't see the movie without reading the book first.

I mostly read kids/YA if I'm in the mood for something light and easy. After reading a chunk of The Whiskey Rebels, where I have to look up a word on every page, and they go on about the stock market, I really enjoy some children's fantasy.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! Apparently I lied. I forgot about Coraline. I guess I didn't think about it because it's Neil Gaiman...I've had that for a couple weeks now eheh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
meljackson said:
VA, some of yours frightened the young adult in me!

Melissa
oops!! ::) maybe I should make mention that I've also read the Princess Diaries series, All-American Girl, the Mediator Series, Twilight, Nancy Drew, Breaking Glass,....and several others. The ones I listed above are the one I liked the most and have out on my bookshelves. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes introduced me to my fascination in the supernatural. My friends say that I only display my cheery side, but indulge my darker side with rock music and books to control the other Mitsy. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
nebulinda said:
I just bought Coraline by Neil Gaiman last night. Neil Gaiman is awesome, and the movie coming out is directed by Tim Burton, who is also awesome. I can't see the movie without reading the book first.

I mostly read kids/YA if I'm in the mood for something light and easy. After reading a chunk of The Whiskey Rebels, where I have to look up a word on every page, and they go on about the stock market, I really enjoy some children's fantasy.

nebulinda said:
Coraline was the first book I read on my Kindle. One of my friends works for Laika and worked on the animation for the movie- it sounds amazing!

I have Artemis Fowl and tried twice to read it... I just couldn't get into it. Oh! I forgot about my other all time favorites:

LOVED this series. If you've seen the movie, you should still read the book as it's MUCH better than the movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Mikuto said:
I'm just curious to see what people think mostly. The only new young adult/kid's fiction I've picked up in years for reasons other than Nostalgia is the Harry Potter series. Well there's Eragon but the less said about that the better. I think it's because I started reading adult fiction in 6th grade that I never gave a second look back at the "kiddie" stuff, but it looks like there's a decent assortment of stuff out there.
Mikuto, you should read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's available on Kindle. It's marketed here in the States as a Young Adult book, but it's marketed as an Adult book in Zusak's native Australia. It's a FANTASTIC book!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
The His Dark Materials trilogy is probably my favorite series of all time. I first read them when I was 12 or 13, and have reread them at least once a year since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I agree that books for kids and teens aren't just for kids.  I write young adult books-- historical fantasy novels and nonfiction--  and like most people who write for children and teens, I just write books rather than trying to write "for" a young audience.  One of my books, which is about Buddy Holly, is available now for the Kindle, and another one will be on Kindle soon.  If you go to Len Edgerly's The Kindle Chronicles podcast, there's a brand new audio interview there (#28) about my new book for teens/tweens, and why I chose Amazon's Kindle to publish it.  In terms of books for young adults on Kindle written by other authors, I really like TWILIGHT by Stephenie Meyer.  But I bet there's not a teen or tween in the world who hasn't read it already!  
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I just bought my daughter a Kindle 2 for her 15th birthday Wednesday. She loves books, especially series, but she is not yet ready for all of my books as many are too sexually graphic for her tastes and maturity. She loves Harry Potter, the Maximum Ride series, and the Twilight series. She is not big into fantasy as a rule but does like some of them. She does like the vampire/werewolf/fae books as long as they are fairly chaste. I just read Moon Called and think she might enjoy it.

I prefer her to read books with stronger female leads than that in the Twilight series but didn't mind her reading those. She did NOT like The Host.

Any ideas on fairly chaste romance books or other novels with strong female leads but not with graphic sex? As an example, I don't think Clan of the Cave Bear would be too much for her even though there is some sexual content. I do think the Sooke Stackhouse books are a bit too graphic for her at this point, though I certainly enjoy them.

Thanks!
EllenR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
How does she feel about Science Fiction?

The strong female lead would be lacking in them but David Eddings Malorean or Belgirard series might do.

Also, in many of the Anne Mccaffrey series you can find some fairly strong female leads sans the issues you are wishing to avoid.

Perhaps something from Mccafrey's Petaybee series or Acorna series as a starter.  The Freedom Landing series also has some fairly strong female leads.

The entire Pern series also has some pretty strong female leads.
 
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Top