Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a "youngster" here on the boards [22] I've been surprised at the mixed reviews I've gotten for the Kindle.......most of my classmates have taken the Kindle as I expected.... "you spent money on a Ipod for books?!?!" For some reason reading is not a cherished past time for people my age and younger ??? ??? ???

I have had a number of people think it's a very cool idea and surprisingly enough those that were interested were people I never thought would be......strange how people think. LOL

So what are your thoughts on why younger people don't read as much and B] how can Kindle be marketed to better reach Gen X?

·
Registered
400 Posts
You think young people don't read? Hmm. Well, I'm 39... I have a 24 year old sister-in-law. She likes my kindle a lot. She reads a lot. My 20-something cousins also like it - one of them wants to steal it. I can't say I've noted any kindle aversion. Maybe it's just an individual thing. I don't think it's generational anyway. At least not in my experience. I can tell you my 8 year old and his friends LOVE the Kindle and are desperate for one of their own.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Plenty of other interests, reading perceived as school type work, love of reading not instilled by parents, because of other interests, lack of time to apply to reading. As to what would have to change to bring them back to reading. I am unsure, but I hope getting a little older will help.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
webhill.....I'm glad that your experience has been positive toward younger readers. I am also from CA- Bay Area to be exact and unfortunately our younger Gen seems to be a bit preoccupied with S*x, drugs, partying, new fashion trends, and new gadgets [minus the Kindle] Just my experience/observations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the things that surprises me about the "genxers" or whatever you want to call them, is their lack of a sense of adventure.  It seems they get an iPod or iPhone and they think they are set for life.  It seems they are seduced by the hype and advertising and just can't go beyond that.  What a pity - they will miss so many great and fun things in life!

You said that you ran into several people that were interested in the K who you thought would never be.  Maybe there are readers in your age group after all?

Do you really think it is true that "younger" people don't like to read or is there a culture that suppresses it?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I work at a Uni and all the kids I show it to love it. They just can't see spending that much for it. (but most have ipod touches!)  :D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dickj said:
Do you really think it is true that "younger" people don't like to read or is there a culture that suppresses it?
Overall I think it's a cultural suppression....it's not the "cool" thing to do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm 26 and I couldn't live without my Kindle. However, now that I have Kindle on my iPhone as well, I don't drag Ken Doll out of the house nearly as much. I'm a journalist, so I also see the Kindle as part of my business' future.

All that being said, when I was in high school and college, I read so much for class, I never read for fun. Once the Kindle offers many. many mainstream textbooks, I bet more young people will scoop them up and discover the other joys of ownership.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am also 22. I've read on my Kindle in class, the cafeteria, etc. The people who know what it is think it's cool, and the people who don't know what it is think it's cool after I tell them what it is. Actually, I've found that older people (well, ok, my dad) are the ones who balk at it... he's constantly poking fun at me for not reading "real" books (ironic, since he's the one who bought it for me!)

·
Registered
599 Posts
NessaBug said:
However, now that I have Kindle on my iPhone as well, I don't drag Ken Doll out of the house nearly as much.
Haha, Ken Doll, that is too cute!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I would think that many people old and young would find the cost of the Kindle as a stopping point. The initial outlay seems too high for many.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'm 19 and my kindle goes EVERYWHERE with me. Some of my classmates have expressed interested in my kindle (especially my japanese class), but I've had classmates think that it was crazy anyone would spend money on a device to read books on. [meanwhile I usually mention that they did spend a couple hundred on name brand designer bags or something, depending on who it is] Most just say get a laptop. Most of my older classmates love my kindle. Still all my friends love the idea of having a kindle. they are all readers and have had to leaves their books home when they went to live in the dorms.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
Some of my classmates have expressed interested in my kindle (especially my japanese class), but I've had classmates think that it was crazy anyone would spend money on a device to read books on.
私も。日本語の先生はとくにキンダルが好きですよ。 ;D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
lol. I think my jap teacher will be embarrassed at me right now. I can read and understand it...but I don't remember how to reply correctly. My class should have do a kindle vs. sony 505 comparison, cuz one of the guys in my class has a Sony. We spent quite a bit of time demoing our ereaders in class.

If the kindle or the sony had the ability to read and display comics (especially manga) a lot of my friends and classmates would have been sold. wonder if manga would be cheaper in ebook format

·
Registered
191 Posts
22 myself! I think that the reason a lot of people our age are turned off by reading is the way reading was imposed on us in school. We were forced to read things like "The Scarlet Letter" long before we got to read things we truly enjoyed. Reading is a skill and you can't start off reading that kind of boring dribble. I mean, I absolutely hated reading until I was in college. I couldn't stand the thought of it. I understand older generations had the same reading requirements but they also didn't have a movie theatre in their living room and a library of video games to distract themselves with. We have so many distractions these days that we are very unlikely to give reading another chance once we've been bogged down with it in school. I mean can a 14 year old truly enjoy Dickens or Tolstoy? Give a teenage boy a science fiction novel or an epic fantasy/action/adventure and let him find his way to the classics when he's ready. Girls...well I have no idea what a teenage girl would read, but let her choose too.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
VA, do you think reading was part of the connection between you and the people who became your friends or just a coincidence?

·
Registered
244 Posts
From what I have seen of my nieces and nephew I see both sides.  My nieces (18 & 23) especially the 18 year old love reading.  My nephew (21) on the other hand doesn't.  I do see the school system as having had a negative impact on my nephew's reading habits (or lack there of).  They were forced to read a certain number of books from a fixed list.  He hated almost everything on that list and my sister and I couldn't really blame him.  I agree that Jr. High and HS kids should be able to read what they choose not from a limited and unimaginative list given by a bunch of educational bureaucrats.  There is another aspect to this as well though.  There has always been a tradition of reading among the women in my family.  My mother is an avid reader as is my sister and of course me.  This is not as true with the men for whatever reason (my father and brother in law).  I don't know what role these traditions and way the split down gender lines has had but I can't help wonder.  As much as children try separate themselves from their parents I think their example still has a lot of weight in their choices,

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
That was one of the great things about my world lit. class in high school. I could read almost anything I  wanted , just let the teacher know what it was ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
We all make decision about how we spend our money.  That may be a factor in their reaction.  Young people seem to love electronic devices, but it is difficult to afford everything.  It will be good when electronic readers and books are more affordable.  

I hear people talking about what they were forced to read in school.  That applies to people of all ages.  Education broadens our lives and our interests.  It doesn't mean you have to enjoy everything your read.  What is the point of school if you read only what you like to read?  Having said that, it may be time for schools to update their book lists.  My niece is a student at the University of San Diego.  Last semester she took a class in Irish literature.  She learned a lot from the class and enjoyed some of the books she read.  Irish literature may not be her thing, but she is glad she took the class.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts