Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I keep on seeing these "best present ever" commercials on tv and made me think about my best childhood holiday present that was special to me. 

My best holiday present was tied between the Snoopy Snowcone Machine and a HUGE box filled with My Little Ponies (silly even today I wish I had kept my insane MLP collection lol).

What was your most memorable childhood present?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
The softball mitt that my dad gave me in Junior High...  my mom hated it but I think it was the best gift I ever got.  It was EXACTLY what I wanted.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
When I was eight or nine, Daddy bought me practically the entire Nancy Drew series. (there were 50ish books).

During my childhood, I was the tomboy-ish girl whose mom tried to get her daughter into girly things. All the kids in my neighborhood kids my age were boys. Dolls weren't exactly my thing....they usually ended up dismembered my bro and the guys. The surviving dolls were used for when I'd babysit.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was 13 years old and had this super cool 23 year old uncle I looked up to as a big brother. He and his girlfriend at the time got me my first bikini. It has yellow and orange stripes with big plastic circles on the sides of the bottoms and in the middle of the top.

Now that I look back on it Uncle Jer did it mainly to piss off his older sister (my mom) for always treating me as a kid.

Come to think of it Uncle Jer got me my first 'big girl' jewelry (a gold necklace) , my first diamond (a little heart pendant), and my first hard cover stephen king book. Between ages 11-14 I got these christmas gifts. I guess as a kid who was extremely sheltered I loved how my Uncle treated me like the pre/teenager I was.

Of course this is the same uncle that whooped my butt at age 17 for dating one of his friends! OK maybe a 25 year old was too for me at 17 :D LOL..and his friend ended up with a busted nose but at the time I was soooo mad at Jer.

Thanks for making me remember some of the great times I had with him. He died 4 years ago from throat cancer and this time every year I can't help but miss him.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
There was a district short story writing contest and it started my last two years of high school. The winners were announced about christmas time...My parents got a call from my teacher (who convinced me to enter both years) and they held on to the letter for a couple days extra to give it to me on Christmas. Not exactly childhood...but it was only a couple of years ago. To many of you, I may still fall under the 'child' category

(I just found the letters from both years while going through my room)

Wow Dori! A speech contest! (crowds sometimes scare me)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The perfect Christmas present for the little 4 year old who wanted to be a nurse (and grew up to be a nurse)...Marybel, the Doll that gets well:

I think my version was more deluxe than this. She had a bed and the box she came in looked like a doctor's bag. She came with a casts, crutches, a stethoscope, thermometer, bandages, and best of all..MEASLES DOTS!

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
My Ginny Doll.

I still have her and all her clothes and accessories. She's worth about $250 (redheads like mine are rarer), but I wouldn't sell her for anything.

Leslie, your doll looks beautiful. I don't remember her.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Evel Knievel Super Stunt Cycle, i got this twice wore it out...so much fun an 8 years old. he was my childhood hero ;D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I was 10 or 11 when I got my Easy Bake Oven. I have no clue why but I loved that thing.
Maybe it explains why I would rather cook than bake. I got the baking out of my system early on.

G

·
I got this when I was 5 years old. I still had it when my kids were little.

Looking at all the dolls sure does tell our ages.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My was a Chatty Cathy doll. I wanted that doll more than anything. Woke up Christmas morning and there she was. I opened the box and pulled the string and all that came out was garbled sounds. Pulled again and the same thing happened. We took it back to the store and got a new one and within 2 days, it quit talking. Decided dolls were stupid and traded it for a watch instead. Loved the watch.

Kathy

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the Chrissy Doll with the ankle length hair. Her hair length was adjustable using the knob on her back.. I pretty much wore the poor thing out changing her hair style so many times! :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Kathy said:
My was a Chatty Cathy doll. I wanted that doll more than anything. Woke up Christmas morning and there she was. I opened the box and pulled the string and all that came out was garbled sounds. Pulled again and the same thing happened. We took it back to the store and got a new one and within 2 days, it quit talking. Decided dolls were stupid and traded it for a watch instead. Loved the watch.

Kathy
I always wanted to modify Chatty Cathy's cute little sayings so my sister would pull the string and freak.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Great post: 
My twin brother and I got matching "Free Spirit" 3-speed bicycles from Sears in white.  Am I dating myself? 

The funny thing was that "Santa" hid them at my Aunt's house in her basement so we wouldn't see them pre-Christmas...Well; Santa forgot that he had done that and we went over for a visit...all us kids were playing in the basement and guess what we saw?  STUPID naive us; we ran upstairs and said, "Hey Kathleen and Patricia got the bikes we wanted why is one a boys bike?"  DUH!!  We rode those bikes like they were top of the line Schwinns.

and believe it or not:  Etch-A-Sketch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pre-1960 my father brought back a miniature reel-to-reel tape recorder from one of his Asian trips and gave it to me at Christmas. It was about the size of a hardcover book, ran on D-Cells and lasted till spring before the recording head burned out. After that, I got a sub-miniature camera (not a Minox) that used roll film, which turned out to be unobtainable and unprocessable in the USA.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Teninx: I had the same style tape recorder...came from Sears (what was it with my parents and Sears...) I thought that recorder was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think my brother hid it at some point because he got sick of me singing on the top of my lungs into it.

My first camera was a Minolta with the square flash bulb that rotated for each pic. Once all four bursts went off you inserted a new flash bulb. I think your folks and mine were neighbors at the same school...lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.