Kindle Forum banner

Your dream job?

4K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  russr19 
#1 ·
If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be?

(Doing nothing is not an option  ;D  )

#7 ·
OK, think further...  I didn't mean only jobs that you're actually *qualified* for!  Dream big!

Me, I wouldn't mind being a restaurant reviewer.  (I did three reviews once, but unpaid, so that doesn't count.)

Or a writer, as long as we're dreaming.  (Not a chance... )

Something in the field of neuropsychology would fascinate me.  (Even less of a chance, considering the type of degrees needed.)

And when I was a clumsy teenager (as opposed to the still somewhat clumsy adult I am now), I saw the credits at the beginning of the old 007 movies, the ones where there's a female silhouette swimming underwater, and thought I'd like to do something that graceful some day...  (Not in this lifetime!)

#9 ·
Thumper, your posts always crack me up.  I have to read your books.  I have no idea what they're about though.... 
But I guess that's no different from people who'd go see a movie without knowing the topic simply because it had Hugh in it  :D

#10 ·
Susan in VA said:
Thumper, your posts always crack me up. I have to read your books. I have no idea what they're about though....
But I guess that's no different from people who'd go see a movie without knowing the topic simply because it had Hugh in it :D
Put Thumper's books, or maybe Max's books at the top of your read list! Just as entertaining as her posts ::)

#15 ·
Trust baby.    Wait..........I'm not sure that qualifies as a job.

Actually I really like being self-employed, the profession doesn't matter to me so much as I don't have to answer to anyone but myself.

#16 ·
I would love to run my own bookstore/coffee shop. Of couse, now with the Kindle...I guess I could still run a coffee shop! I should add that this has been a dream job ever since I was 9 and went to a bookstore/coffee shop that was in an old converted house. The sheves of books all around, and the smell of coffee, the little nooks with comfy chairs where you could sit and sip and read and relax. I have loved books since I was very young and I always will.

As is, I have a pretty dreamy job...being the wife of the love of my life and mother to my kids! Gives me lots of time to read! I must give total credit to my wonderful hubby who allows me to stay at home. He even lets me spend his money however I want!

#17 ·
Forster said:
Actually I really like being self-employed, the profession doesn't matter to me so much as I don't have to answer to anyone but myself.
I need that smiley that's rolling around laughing and kicking its feet.

To anyone but your clients you mean... and your family when you have long hours and no vacations..... and the employees that depend on you even when you don't know whether you'll have enough work for them next month...

But yeah, it does have its perks.

#18 ·
Susan in VA said:
I need that smiley that's rolling around laughing and kicking its feet.

To anyone but your clients you mean... and your family when you have long hours and no vacations..... and the employees that depend on you even when you don't know whether you'll have enough work for them next month...

But yeah, it does have its perks.
Yeah that too. ;D

But seriously I've had it both ways and there is no way I would/could go back to working for someone else, ever.

Fortunately the vast majority of my clients are a joy. Those that aren't.......well I tell them to go elsewhere and have done so on numerous occasions. I've also been fortunate in that I've never had to cut back any of my employees hours or lay them off even when business is slow. I have also never had an employee quit on me or look elsewhere for work.

The vacation part, well sometimes you have to let the work go and just leave, it's taken me a while to figure that out but it always turns out fine. The family taking second fiddle to work at times happens. It happened when I worked for others and it happens now.

#19 ·
Up until March 31 I had my dream job- I was the proud owner of a doggie daycare.  Every morning
gathered up my furry friends and toke them to work with me so they could interact with their
furry pals.  Dogs have been my passion for many years.  One of my dogs was in a TV movie and
did some commercial work.  Can't imagine life without a dog or two.

#22 ·
Susan in VA said:
Good points.... Working for someone else can be great if you have a good boss, or sheer hell if you don't.
Besides I can play on Kindle Boards while at work without feeling guilty.........well not too guilty. :D

#25 ·
Forster said:
Besides I can play on Kindle Boards while at work without feeling guilty.........well not too guilty. :D
There's that. I have a spare computer at my desk yesterday and today, so I was able to keep one open to KB and check in whenever I had a break in the work I was doing on the other one... alas, time to shut down one of them now.

#26 ·
Yep - I counted the days and hours until I could RETIRE - now I can read, teach t'ai chi, walk, try to discipline my dogs, cook, play cards with my DH (dead H when he beats me  ;) ) sleep late, did I say read? and read and read and enjoy the birds, flowers, life in general and spend lots and lots of time on kindleboards  :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.