Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hollywood loves to work from adapted screenplays -- there already is a cast of characters, setting and story. Some of the best movies and miniseries have been based on books. Of course, not all have done the original work justice... This is a free-for-all: if you could cast your favorite book, new or old, would you make it a mini-series or a full length feature film? Who would you cast? It doesn't matter if it's a major or minor character...

My favorite book is a fantasy set in turn-of-the-century New York by Mark Helprin, called Winter's Tale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter's_Tale_(novel). The hero, a lovable rogue named Peter Lake. I believe a miniseries is the only way to do it justice because it spans so much history. And I picture Ewan Mcgregor with blond hair as the hero.

·
Registered
172 Posts
FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH by Cameron Crowe.

He spent a year posing as a high school student and then wrote the novel. It changed the way Hollywood made movies for young people at a time when I was entering my formative teen years (the 1980s). Before FAST TIMES these movies all seemed to be remakes of each other, all designed as vehicles for T&A scenes. And, hey, as a young boy I really didn't mind that so much. But Crowe changed the trend. The book (and subsequent movie) mixed comedy with more real-life issues of growing up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A year ago, I would have said "The Dark Tower" series, but that is finally happening.

For now, I'm going to say "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest.

Directed by Alfonso Cuarón
Produced by Steven Spielberg

Starring...
Amy Adams as Briar Wilkes
Joel Courtney as Zeke
Alan Tudyk as Leviticus Blue

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I am a little nervous about that "Dark Tower" production. But I am also very excitedly waiting for it. I *LOVE* Your suggestions for "Boneshaker" and yes, Cuarón gets genre and details. Schlomo, are you listening to LDHesler?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
among the top books to film has got to be 'Stand by Me' directed by Rob Reiner, adapted from Stephen King's 'The Body' a story in his book Different Seasons.  Really excellent.  Loved it.  Misery with Kathy Bates was great too. 

Joan

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not my favorite book or my favorite film, but I recently read Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella. It's the first time I've ever enjoyed a movie ("Field of Dreams") more than the book it was based upon. The book wasn't bad, but the movie was so much better, IMO.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Some of them are almost too obvious to mention, LotR and Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile for example.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Pride and Prejudice and The Godfather. I dare say the Godfather was almost as good as the book though I did understand the movie MUCH better after having read the book.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know I"m new here so I don't want to be a jerk, but the original post asked about books you'd like to see made into movies or series, not your favorite movie that's based on a book.

This is a free-for-all: if you could cast your favorite book, new or old, would you make it a mini-series or a full length feature film? Who would you cast?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Katie Salidas said:
The Princess Bride!

My all-time favorite. ;D
I loved the movie. The book made me crazy to the point that eventually, I just gave up and read only the chapters that told the fairy tale. Did anyone else do that or just me?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chrisanthropic said:
I know I"m new here so I don't want to be a jerk, but the original post asked about books you'd like to see made into movies or series, not your favorite movie that's based on a book.
You can never control conversation, it goes where it wants to go. Still, books and movies have been married for so long and in a variety of ways (with a variety of results) that it's always of value to find out your peer's opinions of books and their movie counterparts. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.