Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read Devil in the White City a couple times, but haven't read any other books by Erik Larson. If you've read Isaac's Storm or Thunderstruck, I'd love to hear what you thought of them. Did you also read Devil in the White City? If so, which book(s) did you prefer? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I did read Devil in the White City, which I understood was non-fiction? Great book, I bought it for my Dad too and he really liked it.
So are you saying he has also written fiction, I will go check out those titles.

Good news his books are available in Kindle versions:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I own (and have read ;) ) all three. Isaac's Storm is probably my favorite but I'm a weather geek and it was first. Devil in the White City is a close second; I read a lot of serial killer/ mystery/ thrillers. Thunderstruck was very slow in places; I expected much more of a "chase" feel to the book and instead it plodded. More aggressive editing would have made this book much better.

These are both similar to Devil; the first more in tone, the second in subject matter.

(Just what you were looking for...More Recommendations! :D )

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks Scott, I have read the first one but not the Monster in Florence, just downloaded the sample... lord do I love having
my own personal bookstore..aka a Kindle!  ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Octochick said:
I did read Devil in the White City, which I understood was non-fiction?
Octochick -- You're correct....Devil in the White City is non-fiction. Larson writes with such vivid imagery his books just seem like fiction! As Amazon.com states in a review of Devil in the White City, "Author Erik Larson imbues the incredible events surrounding the 1893 Chicago World's Fair with such drama that readers may find themselves checking the book's categorization to be sure that The Devil in the White City is not, in fact, a highly imaginative novel."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts