Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what is your absolute favorite web browser? And why?

For me it's google chrome, simply because it's simple, sleek, powerful and isn't full of annoying add-ons that take up most of the screen.

What about you all? What is your favorite browser?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I like the idea of chrome, but I hate how it has a separate process that hogs memory for EVERY tab I open. I use firefox instead because it seems to be the easiest on memory and the toolbars take up a small amount of the screen.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I use firefox. It's fast and easier to use.  I have but not too familiar with google chrome. Since you mentioned I may start using more.

The annoying part in google chrome is "favorites/bookmarks" on right side of the top bar. I don't know if there is some way to move them.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I use Firefox because (a) it is not M$IE, (b) it's what I'm used to, (c) it is not M$IE, (d) I use and am comfortable with several add-ons for web developement, and (e) . . . wait for it . . . it is not M$IE.

PS: I'm not super-crazy about using a browser from Google, due to questions on its (non-) support for the proposed do-not-track initiative and Google's general desire to track everyone's web usage, as well as their tendency to try to compete with M$ in anti-competitive business practices. I guess if/when Mozilla ever becomes the next big mega-company in the web world, I'll have to switch to Safari or Opera. :)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I prefer Chrome.  Firefox got to the point that it took so long to open that I would have clicked it 5 times in the meantime and ended up with 5 windows and the constant updating was such a pain.  Chrome isn't perfect (mine seems to have issues with flash crashing now and then) but it's nothing a reload of my pages can't fix.  I have been toying with trying out Opera again (I think I last used it back in the early 90s), but I'm not big on change.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I like Firefox, but not the newest version, because it's trying to put my tabs inside the top bar and I'm not having it.

I can't stand IE because with each new version, it's added increasingly annoying 'security warning' popups for almost anything I try to do.  It's beyond ridiculous with it's pointless security warnings and confirmations.  The only time I ever use IE is when some badly programmed corporate website won't run under Firefox.

I tried Chrome and really liked how fast it was, but couldn't stand how they removed basic functionality by hiding the standard top bar options. (File, Edit, View, etc)  If they'd just make these changes optional I'd be happy, but they keep doing these annoying things they expect everyone will love without giving us any choice.  There's a very good reason that all programs have a standard top-bar.  It's what lets people feel comfortable using any new software that comes along, because it has that basic familiarity built-in.  It's how Microsoft planned it way back in the early days, and it was a good plan.  It lets my mom learn to use new software without having to ask me how it works.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I mostly use Firefox, but I'm not in love with it. I also regularly use Safari and/or Opera when I get sufficiently pi**ed at Firefox. All in all, I've probably used Opera the longest,  but not the most.

I really, really don't like IE. Never have. And by never, you must understand that I started browsing the internet before there were browsers with graphical interfaces... it was all text. I can hold a grudge a long time. ;D

The first graphical browser I used was Mosaic, and after that Netscape Navigator came along.

I switch browsers regularly, so I have to ability to use a separate URL manager program to keep track of web pages so I just tell it which browser to use and it will use that one. I don't have to worry about keeping the different browsers in sync.

I'm starting to play around with Chrome. It looks OK so far.

Mike

·
Registered
917 Posts
Can't stand IE.

Love Chrome.

Getting used to Firefox since Google and Gmail are having issues and it's easier to have 2 browsers going than to constantly sign in and out of accounts.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Firefox because I must have my bookmarks always visible on the left side at all times without any clicking of my mouse to make them appear.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Chrome: sell your browsing habits to the devil. Firefox: reinstall regularly or it becomes slow and cumbersome. Opera: doesn't work with banking sites, etc. Safari: Apple would like to take over my computer. IE: no comment, it's all been said before.

The short of it: Chrome seems to have the fewest downsides. Do I trust them to keep their anonymizing promises? Hmmm...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jessica Billings said:
I like the idea of chrome, but I hate how it has a separate process that hogs memory for EVERY tab I open. I use firefox instead because it seems to be the easiest on memory and the toolbars take up a small amount of the screen.
I have an older computer and it seems to run fine with only 600MB or so of RAM. And I constantly have tabs open. I only use a few apps too, so that may be the reason it's a memory hog.

But yeah, it starts up faster for me.

I also like the new firefox though, it's starting to get better and better. Liking the tab feature, all web browser should have it. :)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Jessica Billings said:
^^^ I agree.

Edit: I've used Safari a lot and have to say, I really dislike it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Firefox. Used to use IE - you know the story. Tried Safari - pretty, but I personally found it counter-intuitive. Not tempted by Chrome at all. And there are some fantastic add-ons for Firefox too.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
lpking said:
Opera: doesn't work with banking sites, etc.
You may have to tell Opera to mask itself as Firefox or Safari to get it to work with some sites. I spent a frustrating two weeks trying to get Opera to sign in to Manage My Kindle on Amazon before I discovered this trick. Maybe I just love a challenge, because I still use Firefox. ;D ;D

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use whatever I get used to using. My husband (computer guy) though does not like that. He made me switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox. Then he wanted me to switch from Firefox to Chrome. And now he wants me too use Safari on Mac! BUt I am not *that* flexible, so I continue using Firefox. Because I got used to it. :)

And every once in a while when my husband is around and he complains that Firefox is taking to much resources, I switch to Safari. For his sake. But tomorrow is a new day ... And Firefox is still my friend.  ;D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts