Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Sorry you haven't gotten any responses here yet!  I love my custom Tego skin.  If you head back to page 5 there is a thread by MineKinder about Tego skins that shows mine and on page 7 there is a thread called Design Your Own Skins by Octochick that shows others.  They don't cost too much more and are a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

I had that one done. It looks fantastic! But don't tell anyone. Shhhhh.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Octochick said:
I just ran across this over on the photo board but thought some of y'all might be interested.
You can upload a picture and create your own skin at this site: http://www.mytego.com/

Here is the one I created (I scanned a vintage asian print) and am ordering. It is 24.00 for back and front including shipping.
*I just found this code online which got me free shipping($3 off)!! RFD72490203

From the other thread, I do not think anyone has actually received theirs yet, so though someone did comment using the site
for a skin for their cellphone. I figured what they hades? I love the idea of having something uniquely my own. :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thanks! If I'm going to stick that out there after my very long post about DRM, i better add this too:
Belle, Book and Candle (c) Larry Nikolai. All rights reserved by Disneyland Galleries and Disney Design Group. Please don't come repossess my liver.

I actually love this one because it's called Belle, Book and Candle. I thought the title was clever, and I'm all about rewarding clever (and for those of you on the buyer's remorse thread who think buyer's remorse is the exclusive domain of people who have purchased something, let me reassure you: I regret bitterly not purchasing this painting when it came out. Anyone who can locate one for me gets 10% commission. And sending me the disneyland galleries link doesn't count. DL tells me it's not available from them anymore. See? Buyer's remorse. Think outside the box.). Someone else who posted in an earlier mytego thread had uploaded a panel off some fabric, and that was great too. Seems like it had cowboys on it?

Here's one thread:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,2683.0.html,

I can't find the other one, but to be fair, I didn't look very hard for it either. It wasn't apparent from any of the thread titles on page seven that a mytego discussion might be contained therein. I will tell you that I like a couple of things about my tego better than decal girl, while decal girl has one very important and distinct advantage (to me) over my tego.

I like the my tego skins b/c there are no apparent limits to what mytego will allow you to put on a skin. By which I mean, copyrighted designs that might normally be out of bounds? No problem for my tego. I suspect this will be their ultimate downfall. The eventual copyright lawsuit, I mean. I also like that apparently no one at my tego owns a kindle, or they don't get the whole back panel thing, b/c their back panel skins cover the ENTIRE back panel, not just the white part. Which to me is great for consistency in design. I know: hard resets. However, the my tego shipping takes days and days and days. I think it was three weeks in all on Belle Book and Candle, and I paid for rush shipping. Learn from my mistake: don't fall into that trap. Just pay the regular shipping. b/c apparently the printing is the holdup in this process. Of course, you get a 100% custom skin. Choose your poison.
I like the decal girl skins b/c they come with those pretty screen savers, and I am not clever enough (or at all) with photoshop to make a matching one myself. While you are limited to stock skins from decal girl (which really does have a very large, very good selection), decal girl ships much faster.

I can't believe I'm comparison shopping this stuff. Maybe I should get out more.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's very pretty.  When I find the camera, et al, I post a picture of the actual cover.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just got my Tego skin on Saturday and I LOVE it! I will post pictures when I can. I wasn't happy with the print quality of the Decal Girl skin I got awhile ago, so I went the Tego route and it's much more saturated and crisp.

I just browsed through the art that they already have on their site. I am already thinking about making another one sometime.

They do now have two pieces on the back... you can opt to leave off the part covering the grey rubber, or leave it on. I left it on. I do wish it had a small slit so that the ridge that holds Kindle to the cover sticks better... as it is I just rubbed it down pretty well and it seems to still be holding well.

They are more expensive, and it would have been cool to have a screen saver. But I kinda like having a variety of different screen savers pop up. Also, it took a loooooooong time to print and ship! But it's not like I couldn't Kindle without it, so I didn't mind waiting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Robin, the "Belle, Book and Candle" is very cool... Now I'm going to have to find a pic from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".  I have the old Golden Book of it with great illustrations.  I never thought of a Tego like this before.  Like you, I hope they don't come to repossess my liver, or my pancreas.  I've had some good times with them  LOLOL

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I know the feeling, ricky. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a pretty cool idea. I'd say the problem you're going to run into is that the movie pictures are fairly horizontal, and the kindle needs a fairly vertical picture. Unless you want to hold it sideways, I guess. I got a different skin for the front of Belle Book and Candle. It was one of their stock ones. Has butterflies on it, I think. Anway, you'll need a picture like this:

Or this:

And that, my friends, is what they call aiding and abetting. ;D

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:

I had that one done. It looks fantastic! But don't tell anyone. Shhhhh.
Robin - Did you have this done as a skin? If so, how did that work out with the main part of the picture being where the screen is or is this a screensaver you chose to go with a specific skin?

·
Registered
294 Posts
:D  Robin, Thanks!  Maybe they'll let us have side-by-side cells... I can see it now, a whole prison wing dedicated to Kindle skins copyright abusers.  They better allow Kindles in prison.  :) 

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
crebel said:
Robin - Did you have this done as a skin? If so, how did that work out with the main part of the picture being where the screen is or is this a screensaver you chose to go with a specific skin?
I did indeed have this done as a skin. I used this for the back (b/c Tego is WAY behind the curve on the whole back of the kindle thing. They have a two-panel jobby so you can cover up the access panel.), and it looks quite nice. If I can find my camera and all the associated stuff, I'll post a picture. For the front, I just got a blue skin with i think butterflies on it. Even though they are slightly more expensive and take longer to arrive, this is why I prefer mytego to decal girl. Gotta love that full-back cover. ;D

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Even though they are slightly more expensive and take longer to arrive, this is why I prefer mytego to decal girl. Gotta love that full-back cover. ;D
I agree, I changed my Avatar to the Tree of Life picture I used for Radar's skin. Now if it would just get here - I ordered it on 1/31 and they charged my debit over a week ago so I thought that's when it would have been mailed, but it hasn't arrived yet. I like having the back covered even though he is rarely out of his Forest cover now. I also wish I had gotten the Forest w/velcro so none of the skin would be covered and am trying to decide whether I am brave enough to remove the corners and do velcro myself. The fun of Tego is having unlimited possibilities for skins for only about $10 more!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts