Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. What is the first book you remember reading? I am not talking about children's books, but the first time you picked up an actual novel and read. The first book I remember reading is a Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I actually just received the entire Quintet of the series yesterday in the mail so I could read them with an adult prospective now.

Now, what is the first book you read on your Kindle? This is actually something I have thought about a LOT in the past couple of days. Since I am waiting for my first Kindle I got this feeling that my first ebook will be memorable as well. I feel as though it should be something special or unique. I can't even decide if it should be a new story or a return to a book that has already been read before. Maybe a classic piece which would honor the newest era of reading with a rich classic story. Something that has special meaning or just one of the books that happens to sound like a good read? I am sure people will think I am crazy and maybe I am putting way to much thought into it. Reading to me is so much more than just something to do though. There are books that I have read that literrally changed my life. I am even tearing up thinking about some of them and I take anything that powerful very seriously.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The first chapter book I can remember reading is:

And the first book I read on the Kindle (also the first one I purchased) was:

G

·
My first "real" book was The Hobbit. (If you eliminate all children's/YA fiction)

My very favorite book is Watership Down. (Just thought I'd mention that, since you are one of two members with that identical avatar.)

I believe that our first Kindle book was Leslie's FAQ.

G

·
I can't remember my first kiddie "chapter book."  I can't remember anything else.  Not sure I ever read "picture books."

·
Registered
10 Posts
can't imagine trying to think of the first non-childhood book --- Heinlein's Stranger In a Strange Land got me hooked when I was in 8th grade.

first kindle purchase was Vonnegut's Armageddon in Retrospect

·
Registered
621 Posts
The first book I remember reading was The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham. I was a precocious decoder so although I knew it was a book about a Mole and a Rat and the wonderful Mr. Toad {"Oh, bliss! Oh, joy! Poop poop!"} my comprehension was nowhere near my decoding skills!

The first book on my Kindle was 1984 which stood up very well to the years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The first book I can recall choosing myself was Johnny Tremain. I was in grade school and I'm guessing I was in the 4th or 5th grade.

First book on my Kindle was a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Second grade:  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum.  (And yes, I was a precocious reader...could read before I started school thanks to having four older siblings).

·
Registered
339 Posts
I clearly remember my first adult book (or the first two): The Hobbit and Pet Cemetery.  I read both in the third grade and got sent to the principal's office for the latter.  Something about not being appropriate for a child to read... :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really can't remember what the first "non-children's" book was, but I think my very first book was Goodnight Moon. I also recall A Child's Garden of Verses from very early on. My first Kindle book was The Terror by Dan Simmons.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It is difficult to think back that far. . . but I think it was Treasure Island.  First book on Kindle that I read was Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley.  (LOL)

·
Registered
206 Posts
The first children's books I read were mostly Beverly Cleary (Ramona and others) and Judy Blume. Steven Kellogg (sp?).

The first "adult" book I read was Robinson Crusoe when I was ten. I remember it took me like a whole month of reading before bedtime to read it and nothing had ever taken me that long before. I was astonished.  ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I specifically remember discovering Nancy Drew in 4th grade. The first one I read was Mystery of the Moss Covered-Mansion. I read Harriet the Spy in 5th grade, when I was a year younger (and a grader earlier) than Harriet. I know some would call those children's books but since I re-read both ND and Harriet on a regular basis, I don't agree.

My first Kindle book was the totally forgettable Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. The only reason I remember it is because it was number one. I have read a ton of books that are much much better since then.

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:
I specifically remember discovering Nancy Drew in 4th grade. The first one I read was Mystery of the Moss Covered-Mansion.
L
My first Nancy Drew was The Inn of the Twisted Candles. I still have it.

My first adult book was Wuthering Heights. I still have that one, too. I can't remember my first Kindle book. I feel like I've always read Kindle books. Maybe it was Castles in the Air, Baroness Orcszy.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The first book I remember reading was It by Stephen King.  I remember it suddenly dawning on me that if I could read children's books I could read my mom's books too!! Luckily I was in junior high or something like that.  I loved the book.  I loved the characters, but it scared me!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The Laura Ingalls Wilder books.  That's the first that I remember.  I don't remember what my first 'grown-up' book was.

The Secret Life of Bees was my first Kindle book

1 - 20 of 39 Posts