Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, not including samples, do you read one book all the way to the end then start another, or are you reading two or more books at the same time?

With dtb I would read one book start to finish, but with the Kindle I'm reading many books at once.  I think its due to the ability to have more than one book with me.

How about you?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Same here.  Currently have a library book, Scarpetta.  Kindle books are: Distant Cousin by Al Past (aka Brassman) and Eleanor by Mrs. Humphrey Ward.  A little bit of everything.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I only read one thing at a time, I can't jump into another book before knowing how the first/current one ends.  But I read really fast too, so it's not a big hardship to do it that way.

When reading a series -- which I mentioned elsewhere I much prefer to do nowadays, as opposed to stand-alone books -- I rarely even jump into another book or series before finishing all the available books in a current series, if it's one I just started reading/re-reading. Unless I just can't get into them for some reason, like I still have the last two books of the Rachel Morgan series to read 'cause they just haven't grabbed me like some other urban fantasy series have...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Pre-K, I always read several books at once.  I kept books in each room, one in my car and one at work.  When I got Little Gertie, I decided to read only one book at a time.  That didn't last long.  There are too many good books available at bargain prices or free to limit myself. 

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Oh, I still get most of the freebies and a lot of bargains (found a lot of great new-to-me authors both ways), they just still often get shunted to the "I'll get to them eventually" so-called stack. ;)  I can still only technically read one thing at any given minute, even carrying many books with me at one time on Serenity, so I guess it's even easier for me to stick with one book until it's done instead of jumping back and forth between authors/books/characters/situations. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I tend to have several books going at once, but when one grabs my attention, that's it, I'm hooked--and I'll read it til it's finished.

L

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I usually have at least 3 or 4 going. But rarely in the same genre. I have a classic I'm reading (right now Moby Dick). A Christian book (Mother Angelica) and a fun book usually Mystery, sci-fi  (right now Twilight). So I guess that's just 3 for now.

I always read series in order. If I find that I've started a book and its in a series I won't go back to the previous as usually the new book tells you what happend. If I know what happens I don't bother finishing the book.  Though I don't always go right to the next book in the series. I might jump back to a different series that I'm reading.

I have a friend who always reads the back of a book first. To me that's just plain crazy!! But it worked for her

·
Registered
447 Posts
Leslie said:
I tend to have several books going at once, but when one grabs my attention, that's it, I'm hooked--and I'll read it til it's finished.
I always have two books going at the same time. A fiction and a nonfiction. That way if one starts to drag I'll switch to another. These are the ones below I'm reading on Kindle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I only read one book at at time. I have to find out how one ended before I begin another. This way I know if I want to go ahead and read another of that author's books right away or read someone next. I always try to have several books by my favorite authors on my Kindle so I always have a variety to choose from. Right now I am reading Sharon Sala 'Cut Throat', when I am done I will decide if I want to read the next one in the series 'Bad Penny' or read another author next and then go back to her. Sometimes I like to spread out a series as it can take them awhile to get a new book out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm a one-book-at-a-time kind of guy.  I don't have the desire to juggle several different plots or storylines, it gets me all confuzzled when I have tried in the past with DTBs.  If I have several consecutive books in a series on hand, I will usually read them and then switch to another of my 60 or 70 favorite authors and immerse in another world.

·
Registered
273 Posts
One at a time

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I always have several going at the same time. I never know what I will be in the mood to read. Sometimes it will take me several weeks to finish someone like Neal Stephenson  :p, where with Janet Evanovich I can read in hours so when I need a break from heavy stuff I read light stuff.
I did notice that while with DTB's I sometimes skipped ahead when I got impatient, I don't do that with Kindle books.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I usually jump around between 3 or 4 books. Right now it is one of the 'In Death' series mysteries by J.D. Robb, "Dynamic Energetic Healing" by Howard Brockman, "Magick of Reiki" by Christopher Penczak, and a tarot book by Mary Greer. The 'In Death' novels get pretty violent sometimes and I am such a weenie--I have to balance them out with more calming reads. I am a massage therapist so woo-woo books about energy healing are of huge interest to me. I have built a fairly extensive library for myself but now am impatient for more holistic health books to become available for the kindle.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Usually, one at a time. On occasion, I'll also read a reference book or technical manual at the same time, but that is a rarity.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have several going at once. Like Leslie, if something hooks me, I'll finish it. I'm reading:

Three to Get Deadly - Stephanie Plum
The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis
The Princess Bride
The Devious Book For Cats - Janet Ginsburg
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

I've also got an audio book on my ipod thats not kindlized (Nora Roberts - Three Fates)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts