Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Smirked. 

It is amazing how many people think smirking is just another word for smiling.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's a simple word, but "looked."

In some stories (probably some of my own) people are always looking at something.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Verbiage. Most people use it wrong, and when they use it wrong, they're using it instead of a perfectly clear and wonderful single-syllable word that actually means what they mean. There's also a pretty great two-syllable, four-letter word they could use.

Ugh. It's like sand in my shorts every time someone says "I sent over that verbiage you asked for." "I had him write some new verbiage for the web page." "Let's go over the verbiage for this product."  :mad:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm not even sure what verbiage is! But I'm guilty of smirking - although never when I should be smiling...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
You all will hate me for this, but I can't stand books that constantly repeat the word, "had."

She had remembered what he had said and where he had said it, but...
  vs  She remembered what he said and where he said it, but...

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
He had had a drink or three.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
DebBennett said:
I'm not even sure what verbiage is! But I'm guilty of smirking - although never when I should be smiling...
Verbiage? Isn't that what Stephen King warned against - the road to Hell is paved with verbiage. Or was it adverbs?

Seriously, I see nothing wrong with verbiage. It's like baggage. We get warned against taking up with new partners who come with baggage, but aren't new relationships about taking a journey together? Who wants to go on a trip with a stranger who has no baggage?

'Hmmm... you're smelling a little ripe today, my dear."
'Yes. I'm baggage-free, see. No clean clothes, no deodorant, no - ahem - personal hygiene products, no toothbrush.'
'But no hang-ups from failed relationships/childhood issues/guilt complexes, etc?'
'Uh, no. Nor soap.'
'No soap I can live with. But spare me the guilt complex.'
'I don't have a sex-drive, either. It was taken long ago by my evil step-mother and used to power her.... er, are you still there? Um.... hello?'

Verily, I had chortled, a lot, looking at this thread, and had been smirking until I had become moist...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts