Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to vote for one GREAT author, with the qualification being excellence of writing, etc., who would you choose? You can pick a deceased author and a living author. I know I'm making it difficult to pick only one or two!

Also, just for kicks, if you had to select your best "feel good" author....the author that brings you to a beautiful place to escape while reading, which author would that be?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dead: Edith Wharton
Living: Stephen R. Donaldson

I thoroughly enjoyed Edith Wharton as a teen-ager, and picked the books up again when my children were young.  I found that my enjoyment of the simple language and not-always-subtle stories wasn't diminished. 

Stephen R. Donaldson's short stories are particularly wonderful.  Up until his last "The Man Who" book I would have said what made him a perfect author was that he didn't write until he had something to say.  The last "The Man Who" book left me wondering if he had a financial crisis of some sort that required a book to resolve.  Heh.

·
Registered
731 Posts
jmiked said:
Wow, that's an impossible task. There's no way I could narrow it down to one.

Mike
I can't narrow this down to ten twenty less than thirty.

I did know seven of your authors Mike :) (Of course I worked in a bookstore for five years...)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original poster Libro here....you know it is an impossible task to narrow it down to one or two.  I can't even do it myself, as you can see.  ???

G

·
ScottBooks said:
I can't narrow this down to ten twenty less than thirty.

I did know seven of your authors Mike :) (Of course I worked in a bookstore for five years...)
I managed a bookstore (one in a statewide chain of six) for a few years.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Since joining the K-Boards I've had a new best author every week.  With all of the new books and authors I've been introduced to, including the great ones that have joined us here on the Boards that I probably never would have found wandering around my local bookstore, that's an impossible question. 

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drenee said:
Since joining the K-Boards I've had a new best author every week. With all of the new books and authors I've been introduced to, including the great ones that have joined us here on the Boards that I probably never would have found wandering around my local bookstore, that's an impossible question.
Since I'm the original poster, I find it odd I'm "turning" on myself for having asked this question, but I am! You said it for me, Drenee.....since I've been on this board and received my K2 I'm an entirely new reader, so many more authors, so many more favorites and "distractions." I think that's just one of the most valuable things about the Kindle and KindleBoards....that they introduce us to so much that is new!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Exactly - these folks are my favorite authors!  Real persons WOW what a concept - human beans actually writing and asking us for our opinions  ;)

So no one author is my favorite - it changes with the book I am currently reading  ;)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
It is hard to decide when I have been reading so many new authors since joining this board. One author that I do like that always makes me go to a feel good place is Kathleen Woodiwiss (she is dead).

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
hmmmm this isn't easy. I think I have favorite books and not authors. I have yet to read every book an author has written. I don't always wait for the next book by author unless it's a series I'm reading.

For example.
I love the Plum series by Janet Evanovich but tried one or two in another series she wrote and didn't enjoy them at all  :-\.

And like some others have noted,,, since kindleboards I have added more authors to my list.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
It's an interesting exercise.  I don't have any problem picking one, as it's not saying I think that person is the best of all, just that I want to name one, possibly of many.

I always enjoyed the clarity and precision of Ayn Rand's writing, especially knowing that English was not her first language.  I have all of her books and still re-read them occassionally.

Overall, though I find I enjoy a good storyteller even if the actual writing might not be the best....Grisham is often panned as a writer, but I sure did enjoy some of his early works!

Betsy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts