Kindle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
9,774 Posts
Half-Orc said:
Generally, any statement that starts with "Kids/Young people today..." is going to be something that will make me want to gag myself with an steak knife.
David you are soo right! I am around teenagers almost all of the time. Great kids who READ.. BY CHOICE.. not force.

· Registered
9,036 Posts
Half-Orc said:
Generally, any statement that starts with "Kids/Young people today..." is going to be something that will make me want to gag myself with a steak knife.
You kids today and gagging yourselves with steak knives. In my day, we gagged ourselves with common table knives, and we liked it! WE LOVED IT! ;)

(Credit where it's due to: Dana Carvey)

· Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like a generational thing - someone stuck in the past that thinks computers, cell phones, and electronic devices in general are preposterous. If it gets my kids to read then I am happy and will take it!

· Registered
4,602 Posts
Half-Orc said:
EVERY generation thinks the following generation reads less, works less, and is too obsessed with current technology (which will, obviously, just be passing fads like them moving pictures).

Wasn't there some Potter fellow, Henry or somethin, that sold a bajillion copies? Don't them young people like their electronic doohickies, which happen to have books? Haven't we seen enough threads about how the Kindle is HELPING younger readers find what they like?

Nah. That's dumb. Without the ability to touch paper, and see the book on my shelf, (all of which have nothing to do with the quality of writing within), clearly reading is sooo much less enjoyable. I've even heard a rumor that when you import classics onto the Kindle, it secretly saps away all the magic of the original writing. It's true! And it also changes the N-word in Huck Finn to "Black Guy Jim."

/eyeroll

Generally, any statement that starts with "Kids/Young people today..." is going to be something that will make me want to gag myself with a steak knife.
Agreed, and, in addendum, Harry Potter still hasn't hit the eBook market. Them's all dead tree books, cap'n. Arrrr...

· Registered
520 Posts
Just wait until Pottermore!  ;D

But seriously. Every generation thinks the new generation are a bunch of degenerates who don't know what's good.  I'm only 28, and I HATE a lot of the haircuts/fashion I see on highschoolers now.

*The ciiiiiircle of liiiiiiife!*

· Registered
748 Posts
BTackitt said:
David you are soo right! I am around teenagers almost all of the time. Great kids who READ.. BY CHOICE.. not force.
I hadn't thought of gagging myself with a sharp or dull instrument (Craig-HA!) but I do get sad when I see teens derided in a knee-jerk kind of way. (Me on teens: http://bit.ly/lE87RD ) The article by the Booker Prize winner did have that kind of flavor. . .

· Registered
567 Posts
I prefer to give my kids paper books. Mostly so they won't break my Kindle. They do love books! Books are one of the things I rarely refuse to buy them. And keep in mind, my kids are pretty young. The nerd/geek indoctrination began at birth and continues apace :)

As an adult I prefer the Kindle and read MORE now that I have my Kindle, when I can pull myself away from that bloody Everyword Game.

· Registered
551 Posts
Some senior groups find the idea of ebooks confounding. In fact people over 50 (not all of them seniors yet) are late adopters of technology, but they'll catch up. Once they realize that this technology allows them the freedom to read books without having to wait for the large print version... People reject what they don't understand, it causes fear and anxiety. We just have to educate them in the joy of Kindle.

· Registered
276 Posts
Sarah Woodbury said:
That she doesn't like ebooks is a generational thing, no doubt.
I don't necessarily think so. My mother is in her mid-seventies and loves her Kindle. She told me the other day she was out with several friends and three of them had Kindles too. For older people who might not be able to get out and about as much as they used to getting a Kindle is a fantastically liberating experience.

It would be really interesting to see the true demographic of Kindle users... might be some surprises in there.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.