Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reminded of this story the other day, and even though the incident happened more than two years ago, I still both cringe and laugh about it.

Just after publishing my very first book, I did my very first book event.  I was a guest speaker at a library, doing a Q and A on a cold Saturday afternoon in January.  My Dad - the proud papa - came to the event.

A person in the audience asked something about inspirations for characters or something like that.  I replied:

"The character Jack was largely based on my father, who is sitting in the back row." 

Everyone turned to look at the man I had just referred to... and there was Dad, fast asleep in his chair, head tilted back, mouth hanging open...  Someone laughed, and that woke him up with a start, which caused even more laughter. 

So, what was your funniest or most embarrassing moment at a book event?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
So, when Baby Dust was released, it was timed with Pregnancy Loss Remembrance Day. There were three events--the book signing at a book store, a dinner and balloon release, and a candle lighting vigil.

I was not in charge of the balloon release (I'm not a fan of them, environmentally), but naturally I went along since this group was hosting for me. They had made all these beautiful little cards where we could write messages to our babies and attach them to the balloons to sail away into the sunset.

We wrote our notes and tied them to the balloons. We went out at sunset, many of us very emotional about it, and on the count of three let them all go--

but the cards were too heavy and the balloons hit the asphalt outside the restaurant and popped.

I can laugh about this now, and we did laugh some then, but it was a dramatic fail on every level.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TexasGirl said:
We wrote our notes and tied them to the balloons and on the count of three let them all go-- but the cards were too heavy and the balloons hit the asphalt and popped. I can laugh about this now, but it was a dramatic fail on every level.
WOW! That's funny and cringe-worthy all at once. Maybe it was fate's or Mother Nature's way of reprimanding the troop for doing the balloon gig...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.